JUstin Gray & Synthesis
Justin Gray & Synthesis is a contemporary world music ensemble that explores a captivating cross-cultural blend of Indian and western music. The ensemble features Justin Gray on Bass Veena & Electric Bass, Ted Quinlan on guitar, Drew Jurecka on Violin, Ed Hanley on tabla and Derek Gray on drums & Tibetan singing bowls.
Bandleader Justin Gray is an award winning bassist, composer & producer based out of Toronto, Canada. In 2010, Gray designed and co-created the bass veena, a multistringed fretless bass, which draws influence from a combination of eastern and western instruments. Justin is the first artist to perform on this instrument worldwide. Justin has received a number of awards and distinctions for his work, including the 2015 Toronto Arts Foundation Emerging Jazz Artist Award, a 2015 CFMA Nomination, and a 2014 Juno Nomination.
Justin Gray and Synthesis is releasing their debut album, New Horizons, in the fall of 2017. The album features original music, which draws inspiration from Justin’s wide range of musical influences, including Indian classical, jazz, western classical and R&B music. Gray’s compositions synthesize these musical elements through a unique combination of rich sonic textures, inspiring melodies, and exotic grooves.
Justin Gray and Synthesis have recently been presented in feature concerts across Ontario, including: Aga Khan Museum (2016), Dundas Square (Massey Hall 2016), Toronto Centre for the Performing Arts (JPEC 2016), The Aga Khan Museum (2016), Toronto Jazz Festival (TD Jazz 2016), Richard Bradshaw Theatre (Canadian Opera Company 2016) and Princess Margaret Hospital (Jazz for the Soul 2016/2017).
Bass Veena / Justin Gray
Guitar / Ted Quinlan
Violin / Drew Jurecka
Tabla / Ed Hanley
Drums / Derek Gray
The Jazz Room - Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario - 8:00 PM / September 23, 2017
Humber College - Toronto, Ontario - 12:00 PM / October 11, 2017
Long and McQuade Markham - Toronto, Ontario - 6:00 PM / October 11, 2017
University of Toronto - Toronto, Ontario - 3:00-4:30 / October 13, 2017
Lula Lounge CD Release - Toronto, Ontario - 8:00 PM / October 18, 2017
Princess Margaret Hospital Jazz For The Soul Series - August 6, 2016
Yonge Dundas Square (Massey Hall Presents), Toronto - June 6, 2016
Live Video Shoot / Aga Khan Museum, Toronto - May 23, 2016
Toronto Centre for the Arts (JPEC Presents), Toronto - February 27, 2016
Richard Bradshaw Theatre Concert Series (Canadian Opera Company) - November 10, 2015
- New Album "New Horizons" to be released on October 18 at Lula Lounge in Toronto. http://calendar.lula.ca/lulalounge/detail/616/1508371200000
- New Video Released - New Horizons @ The Aga Khan Museum - https://youtu.be/zM0fSFT8wGA
- Justin Gray & Synthesis Review from Richard Bradshaw Theatre: http://canadianmusichalloffame.ca/music-about-town-monsoonsynthesis-at-the-canadian-opera-company/
- Justin Gray featured on Jazz FM. Interview about his music and the Bass Veena: Veena. http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/component/content/article/119-jazzfm91-report/11309-justin-gray-les-godfrey-and-the-bass-veena
- Being updated. Links coming soon.